UFC’s biggest star Conor McGregor last stepped into an Octagon in November 2016 when he created history by defeating UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez to become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two divisions simultaneously.
McGregor took time off to welcome his first child and would then prepare to switch over to boxing to face Floyd Mayweather. The UFC star had promised to return to the Octagon before the end of the year but so far McGregor hasn’t confirmed if he will nor has he announced which opponent he is likely to face. UFC protocol would require him to defend his lightweight title against the number one contender which will be decided on October 7. BetOnline are rumoured to have sponsored this event and you can play at BetOnline any visiting the BetOnline Download page.
Here are the potential opponents that McGregor could face in the near future:
Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee
Tony ‘El Cucuy’ Ferguson is ranked number 2 in the lightweight division and was supposed to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov who is ranked number 1 to determine who would fight Conor for the belt. That fight never happened as Nurmagomedov pulled out at the last minute due to weight cutting issues. Ferguson is now set to take on Kevin Lee, who is ranked number 7 at UFC 216.
Although McGregor has won two UFC belts, he has never defended his belts in the Octagon. The UFC stripped him of his UFC featherweight belt earlier this year and Max Holloway became the champion after defeating Jose Aldo. McGregor has gone on record to say that he is interested to see the Ferguson vs. Lee fight on Saturday before deciding if he will pick one of them to defend his title.
Trilogy With Nate Diaz
There have been rumors that McGregor will fight on UFC 219 which takes place on December 30 and fight Nate Diaz in a trilogy fight. There are many who believe this will generate the most pay-per-view buys for the UFC and will also put an end to the McGregor-Diaz feud.
Nate Diaz hasn’t fought for nearly two years and will have to drop down to 155 lbs, if he wants to face McGregor has Conor has made it clear that he will not face Nate at 170 again.
Before McGregor could fight Mayweather, UFC President Dana White announced that McGregor was interested in traveling to Russia to face local hero Khabib Nurmagomedov who is so far undefeated in the UFC.
Conor says he is still interested in fighting Khabib Nurmagomedov but since Nurmagomedov missed weight during his fight with Tony Ferguson, he will have to fight another opponent first and show that he can make weight before a contract is signed.
Conor fought Holloway at 145 and defeated him but a lot has happened since then and Holloway is a much better fighter. Holloway has expressed interest in fighting McGregor and avenging his loss. McGregor said he is open to the fight but for that to happen, Holloway will have to come up to 155 – which Holloway has agreed to do.